[HOT] Experienced import person needed for import from UNMIL

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 14:42:45 UTC 2014

Hello everyone.

A few days ago we sent a request to UNMIL (The UN Mission In Liberia) for
permission to import a large dataset of 11,000 place names for Liberia into
OSM.  This morning I received a response from that request and it looks
like we will be able to (response included below with some phone numbers
and addresses left off).

Unfortunately I am out of the house until next week sometime, and I have
never directed an import myself so I am looking for someone from the HOT
community who has experience dealing with the imports mailing list and
process to lead the effort to get this import approved.

The dataset is hosted online at the following address:

https://www.humanitarianresponse.info/operations/liberia/dataset/liberia-settlements-villages-towns-cities-0

The data looks to be of very good quality, with the town names located very
close to the towns they represent.  There are already a lot of town names
in OSM from the GNS work we have done recently, so merging them will need
to be a manual process.  I am suggesting using the task manager for this
like was done for the EHealth Nigeria data and the GNS work in Liberia.

Thank you to whomever takes this on, I know getting an import approved can
be quite a process, but this data will be very useful for fighting the
ebola outbreak in this area.  Our dataset of place names is being used by
the medical teams responding to the area, so the more we can improve this
data the better it is for them.  See the end of this message below my
signature for the license agreement.

-AndrewBuck

Here is the response we got back regarding the agreement:

Dear Ayako,

Please be informed that UNMIL is in agreement with sharing and use of our
populated places dataset with OSM community.

Data usage terms are as follows:

*Terms of Use (UNMIL-GIS Populated Places Dataset) *
UNMIL GIS Unit is willing to share geographic datasets on populated places
in Liberia upon the following data usage terms:

*Warranty*
The dataset is made available on an "as is" condition with no
representation or guarantee made concerning the accuracy, currency, or
completeness of the information provided.
The depiction and use of place names and related information in this
dataset may include inaccuracies or errors and therefore it does not
necessarily imply official endorsement or acceptance by the United Nations
and UNMIL as its entity.

*Condition of Use*
You are free to access, use, distribute and adapt our data as user, as long
as you provide attribution or credit to UNMIL

With regards,
* Stephen Wafula*
GIS Unit/JLOC Section
United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL)