[HOT] Conference at GeONG, Chambery, France, OpenStreetMap Response to West Africa Ebola Outbreak

Pierre BĂ©land pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Wed Sep 24 11:58:16 UTC 2014

I had the opportunity monday and tuesday to meet the humanitaran organizations participating the 4th Forum of Geographic Information for Relief and Development hosted by CartONG.in Chambery, France.

This was an opportunity to make the point with many of them and more particularly the various partners for the Ebola Activation, the organizations that we are supporting such as MSF and Red Cross, the UN Agencies and the many ready to go to West Africa.

I assisted to various conferences and also made a presentation of the OSM Response. I have also animated an OSM workshop.   It was quite pleasant and motivating to see this reception from these various operational humanitarians, how they know about OpenStretMap and understand how important it is to develop an ecosystem with humanitarians.
OpenData is an issue that I presented. We have a good support from the Satellite imagery providers. It is also essential to  obtain administrative limits and various geolocated infrastructures and place names. Disasters Preparedness programs should integrate developping in the various countries at risk OpenData for administrative limits, place names and vital infrastructures for an efficient humanitarian response.

Also, the mobile devices should be the next step to develop this ecosystem with the humanitarians and have the field teams participate more to OpenStreetMap.  The various Tablet Applications based on ODK offer a great potential if an OpenStreetMap geolocation functionality is integrated in these. A good challenge for this OSM community and humanitarian organizations to better exchange data and even better respond to such crisis.

My presentation can be viewed at http://fr.slideshare.net/pierzen/open-streetmap-responsetohaiyanebolacrisisgeong20140923

Pierre