[HOT] Conference at GeONG, Chambery, France, OpenStreetMap Response to West Africa Ebola Outbreak

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Wed Sep 24 15:33:31 UTC 2014

Thanks Augustin for these additions. We had together two great days in such a motivating context.

Pierre

________________________________
 De : Augustin Doury <augustindoury at gmail.com>
À : Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr>
Cc : HOT Discussion list <hot at openstreetmap.org>
Envoyé le : Mercredi 24 septembre 2014 16h32
Objet : Re: [HOT] Conference at GeONG, Chambery, France, OpenStreetMap Response to West Africa Ebola Outbreak

Hi all,
I forward you an email posted on HOT francophone mailing list, mostly translated by googletranslate, in answer to Pierre last email :

Thank you very much Pierre for this assessment!

More information:
We were several francophone hotties at Geong forum with Pierre: Fred Moine, Jean-Guilhem, Jorieke Vyncke, Nicolas Chavent, Pierre Giraud and myself. We were able to take many lines of discussions with the actors mentioned by Pierre and participate/animate the various roundtables and workshops, including the workshop about exporting OSM data (via HOT Exports and Overpass) where Nicolas, Jean Guilhem and Pierre Giraud were particularly active with Pierre Béland.

Jorieke presented herwork in Lubumbashi and Fred (+Jean-Guilhem and Aurelien from CartONG and Andreas) has presented the workflow around the production of aerial imagery in Haiti using drone. Jean-Guilhem presented more specifically the process to make avaible the imagery for mapping in JOSM.
Top if we can get links to your various presentations and Jean, the link to view the satellite image on the gray river in a web browser.
Good day to all,

gus

I had the opportunity monday and tuesday to meet the humanitaran organizations participating the 4th Forum of Geographic Information for Relief and Development hosted by CartONG.in Chambery, France.

>This was an opportunity to make the point with many of them and more particularly the various partners for the Ebola Activation, the organizations that we are supporting such as MSF and Red Cross, the UN Agencies and the many ready to go to West Africa.
>

>I assisted to various conferences and also made a presentation of the OSM Response. I have also animated an OSM workshop.   It was quite pleasant and motivating to see this reception from these various operational humanitarians, how they know about OpenStretMap and understand how important it is to develop an ecosystem with humanitarians.
>
>OpenData is an issue that I presented. We have a good support from the Satellite imagery providers. It is also essential to  obtain administrative limits and various geolocated infrastructures and place names. Disasters Preparedness programs should integrate developping in the various countries at risk OpenData for administrative limits, place names and vital infrastructures for an efficient humanitarian response.
>
>Also, the mobile devices should be the next step to develop this ecosystem with the humanitarians and have the field teams participate more to OpenStreetMap.  The various Tablet Applications based on ODK offer a great potential if an OpenStreetMap geolocation functionality is integrated in these. A good challenge for this OSM community and humanitarian organizations to better exchange
 data and even better respond to such crisis.