[HOT] Hewlett Foundation support to HOT

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Fri Sep 26 13:36:57 UTC 2014

Thanks to all of those that support us with this activation, including the HOT Board and executive, the Imagery providers, OSM-fr which is always ready to support for Imagery servers and HDM style hosting, the OSM developpers either for Daily exports, specificic projects or simply by assuring robust system and tools.

One important aspect for Andrew and myself in such Activations is the coordination with the UN Agencies and International organizations such as MSF and Red Cross. This help us and the other Coordinators quite engaged in these activities to progress from one activation to the other and work more closely with the international organizations to respond quickly to the deployment of international teams deployed in disaster zones, to open doors and obtain more support from various sources including this fantastic grant. This is a work that has to be done with great humanitarian respect and independance, building confidence with the humanitarian organizations taking such risks working in very challenging contexts. They are the heros. We are there to support them.

For this Ebola activation, we have the great opportunity to work closely with CartONG and their GIS officers deployed in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.  This model of actions has been outlined by MSF as a new way to support their actions. We need to think at better ways to develop an OSM ecosystem with the humanitarians.

As I generally say, the OSM community we are very successful working remotely from around the world to digitize the maps in context of disasters. But this is a black and white map. We need to color the map, to add thematic to it. We need OpenData input from the countries concerned and from the humanitarians in the field.

Let's assure we progress in this direction.
Pierre