[HOT] [Ebola] Import of 14, 020 United Nations Mission in Liberia place nodes

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 12:54:33 UTC 2014

Hi,

One other comment I would make on the process now that I have done a
several hundred nodes is that what looks like two names on one
settlement could very well be two separate names for two different
locations in the same village.

For example:

Amara Village was placed on the buildings to the south and Monden closer
to the general collection of buildings to the north. Both are in the
same clan name.

I am finding it very common for the UNMIL data to name individual farms
or houses with what sounds like a name and "Village" on the end, e.g.,
"Amara Village"

In the above example, I strongly suspect the data was naming that farm
house in the south specifically and the general settlement name in the N.

Just something to think about if you are thinking of combining nodes and
using alt_name_*

I also do not think it would be a big deal if they got combined, but I
hate to lose such nice specific location data.

The trade off of having two nodes on there instead of 1 node with
alt_name_* seems to cause no harm whatsoever as opposed to location data
lost potentially forever to OSM.

Blake