[HOT] Issue with the HOT Export shapefiles and ArcGIS

Claire Halleux claire.halleux at hotosm.org
Wed Apr 1 07:38:14 UTC 2015

Hi Sev, TechWG and All,

It is indeed the same for all people using ArcGIS, after the export you
need to "define projection" for each shapefile created by the HOT Exports
tool and choose the Spherical Mercator projection (also called WGS 1984 Web
Mercator [Auxiliary Sphere] projection).
This issue has already been described by Fred Moine in this thread [1]. And
Mikel had already opened a thred on Github about it [2].
If the default export projection can't be changed within a short time, I
would advise we add at least a note on the Export page (or in a ReadMe
file) explaining the simple process solving the issue when using ArcGIS.
Because I agree that it deserves HOT in providing data which are not
exactly "ready to use" for the humanitarian community.

Best,

Claire

[1] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2014-October/006311.html
[2] https://github.com/hotosm/hot-exports/issues/80