[HOT] Mapping IDP camps in Maguindanao, Philippines

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Sat Apr 4 14:31:52 UTC 2015

Hi John
Yes, this is important to zoom in enough. This is a tropical country and there is dense vegetation that sometimes partly obscure the buildings. In comparizon, it is easier then to map for the Vanuatu islands where the vegetation is ever more dense.

For these emergencies, the humanitarian organizations need a minimum of information for their logistic of operation.  For this task, instructions are to trace outbound of the residential areas and the major buildings plus the highways.

Looking at a task that you validated previously, I see that the Bing imagery is clear enough to trace the highways and the outline around the residential areas. http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/969#task/55
Humanitarians plan to use an offline OSMand map to navigate. Maning is in the field interfacing with these organizations. He also added to the instruction panel links to Mapillary video. This help us to understand the context.

Pierre