[HOT] OT: #BluefieldsMapping - Collaborative maps for social progress and education in Nicaragua

Felix Delattre maps at delattre.de
Fri Apr 10 01:56:14 UTC 2015

Dear HOT members and followers,

I'm a very new HOT member and I would like use this opportunity share
with yout this résumé about the latest mapping efforts by us, the
OpenStreetMap Nicaragua community. These have a humanitarian focus, but
are (still) not directly related with HOT's projects. But it might be
useful to use this as an introduction to my person through the work I'm
doing in Central America and - who knows? - maybe more of our projects
in the future could be connected with HOT.

Instead of writing and report, I used extracts from articles published
in newspapers and online websites in order to give you an overview and
the possibility to digg more into details, if you want:

#Introduction

Free geodata technologies have been used to map the city of Bluefields
Southern Caribbean Coast Autonomous Region (RACCS) [of Nicaragua]. This
initiative strengthened the capacities of local actors with respect to
their knowledge of social mapping. It also involved the participation of
children and adolescents, as well as students and teachers from the
Bluefields Indian Caribbean University (BICU) and the University of the
Autonomous Regions of the Nicaraguan Caribbean Coast (URACCAN), under
the coordination of MapaNica (OpenStreetMap Nicaragua) with UNICEF support.
   Source: http://en.unicef.org.ni/prensa/140/

# Giving voice to adolescents through the use of maps

The MapaNica team also facilitated a workshop for 32 students from the
fifth grade of the Denmark School and the ninth grade of the Horatio
Hodgson School. The workshop allowed the students to learn about the
utility of maps both in terms of reaching a particular place and better
understanding the surroundings and socio-cultural characteristics of
each area.
   Source: http://en.unicef.org.ni/prensa/140/

Video with English subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/embed/aohEXf0tUuk
   Source: Jorge Contreras - https://www.facebook.com/contraelabuso

During the workshops different dynamics and plays were used, one of
them, was the students to express their perspective of the perception of
danger and risk in the neighbourhood Beholden, where the school is located.
   Source: http://blog.mapanica.net/emocion-mapeadora-bluefields/ -
Spanish language

After this mapping, the OpenStreetMap team could generate heat-maps
(https://www.flickr.com/photos/xamanu/sets/72157651091265707/), which
let observe the perception of danger the children have about the
neighbourhood of their schools.
   Source:
http://www.managuafuriosa.com/bluefields-mapping-tomando-espacio-manos/

# Workshops in local universities

As well in coordination with the Innovation Laboratory of the BICU
university and the Free Software community from the URACCAN university,
two mapping parties with a total of over 50 participants were held.
Teachers, officials from the regional governments and students from
different careers, such as communication, business administration,
public accountancy, architecture, computer science and others, assisted
and mapped their universities.
   Source: http://blog.mapanica.net/emocion-mapeadora-bluefields/

Video with English subtitles:
http://www.amara.org/en/videos/Y9McCGfZAxio/info/mapeo-ninez-de-bluefields-identifica-zonas-de-riesgo/
  Source: La Prensa Nicaragua

Twenty-three-year-old Dina Castillo, who recently graduated from BICU
and participated in the workshop, said that she is sure she will use
this technology again in her community. “It is a very useful tool when
it comes to seeking innovative solutions to the social problems we are
facing,” she added.
   Source http://unicef.org.ni/prensa/285/

# Mapeo de la ciudad

Un logro de la jornada fue la identificación de quinientos puntos de
interés geográficos, que contribuyó a la creación del mapa base de la
ciudad. [...] El mapeo fue objeto de discusión durante un encuentro de
intercambio con autoridades municipales y representantes de diversas
organizaciones de Bluefields [...].

“There are places we don’t know about and which we don’t have access to
due to their distance, but with a map we can reach those communities
with a greater incidence of cases of violence”, said Erundina Hernández,
Women´s Secretary for the RACCS.

According to Inés Hernández of the RACCS Government’s Water and
Sanitation Directorate, “Many people have died in the rural areas due to
flooding and if we had the location it would be easier to find them.
There are six neighbourhoods with risk points in the urban area.”

“These kinds of initiative share new knowledge and encourage innovation.
They also include children and adolescents, giving them the opportunity
to participate as thinkers and implementers, identify places of risk and
propose solutions to the problems. These experiences can change
children’s lives and also have the potential to change their environment
and—why not?—the world.”, commented Philippe Barragne-Bigot, the UNICEF
Representative in Nicaragua.
   Source:
http://www.laprensa.com.ni/2015/03/26/departamentales/1805769-bluefields-ya-tiene-mapa

# Crowdsourced street level photos

During the city mapping we also contributed to the Mapillary platform:
http://www.mapillary.com/map/im/BMgLNFxM2AsP2zXNQ-uDjA

# For more information check out the following links:

* OpenStreetMap Nicaragua website: http://www.mapanica.net
* Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mapanica
* Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/osm_ni
* This message as online article: