[HOT] Situational awareness regarding weather events

Ethan Nelson emann15 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 21 18:21:52 UTC 2015

Hi HOT list,

I've talked to a few people about this but I am interested in getting responses from a broader audience. Many of the HOT activations in the past have been the result of weather events: typhoons and hurricanes, flooding, and droughts.

Thus, I am reaching out to get a feel for how information is gathered about current and future weather by activation managers and the other powers-that-be. Is it generally through news agencies, like when a potential threat reaches the critical mass to have coverage devoted to it? Are their briefings or notifications occurring from partner agencies? Does someone perform surveillance of regions on a daily/weekly basis from personal online searches or from weather agencies?

I've been on the activating-to-map side of HOT for a while in my spare time. But, professionally, I work with weather data and models daily...it's what I research and study. I recently started thinking about a "HOT weather briefing site" that compiles information and images for the short and long term about the atmospheric state. This would be a one stop shop reference site that activation managers, or anyone really, could consult to become aware of the weather situation globally.

Is this worth pursuing or does it duplicate efforts already present? I would appreciate your thoughts regarding both sets of questions, either on or off list.

Best,

Ethan aka FTA