[HOT] Map volunteer for Nepal Quake- 2015

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 14:17:31 UTC 2015

First welcome to HOT.

Next read here for background http://hotosm.org/

http://hotosm.org/get-involved

OSM mapping maybe slightly different to the way you have mapped before.  So
have a look here:  http://learnosm.org/en/

JOSM is the OSM tool that many experienced mappers prefer and if you can
manged to use it it does have some error checking which helps data quality.

Realistically I strongly suggest you start with a different project to get
a feel and gain a little experience.  Have a look at how other experienced
mappers have mapped and see how they have tagged roads etc.  If you click
on a mappers name you'll see which projects they worked on and how many
tiles they have done.  Pick one who has done lots of tiles.  Read the
instructions carefully.  You don't need to completely map a tile to be of
use, someone else will be along to finish the tile sometime.  So if you
just want to concentrate on simple things like buildings with the JOSM
building tool plugin start there and map other objects as you gain
experience.  Ask questions here.

The projects are listed here:  http://tasks.hotosm.org/

Cheerio John