[HOT] Would like to assist in the Nepal Mapping project

Stacey Maples stacemaples at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 28 21:08:23 UTC 2015

Apologies for cut and paste, here you go Harushi:

Basic Information for Contributing RIGHT NOW
Working on OpenStreetMap Tasks

General Info on the OSM Humanitarian Mapping effort : http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2015_Nepal_earthquake

If you want to contribute IMMEDIATELY to ongoing Humanitarian Mapping efforts for Nepal through Humanitarian OpenStreetMap.org, please do the following:

First go through the 30 minute training on http://mapgive.state.gov to learn the basics of humanitarian mapping using OpenStreetMap.org

Then go to the HOTOSM Task Manager at http://tasks.hotosm.org/ and select a job that you feel comfortable contributing to. Read the directions carefully for the job, then select one of the squares next to one that is marked as complete. This will allow you to pan to the completed square so you can see how others are digitizing the features and mimic their work.

It doesn't matter how long you work, or how many features you digitize. There are currently hundreds of people mapping on HOTOSM for the Nepal Earthquake.Every edit counts. Additional Tutorials and HOTOSM Resources

    * For examples of Before and After Earthquake Damage Assessments from Satellite Imagery http://unosat-maps.web.cern.ch/unosat-maps/NP/EQ20150425NPL/UNOSAT_Nepal_20150427_v1.pdf
    * Guidance for Mapping IDP (Internally Displaced People) Camps in the Nepal HOTOSM Tasks http://hotosm.github.io/tracing-guides/guide/Nepal.html

In F,L&T,
Stace Maples
Geospatial Manager
Stanford Geospatial Center
@mapninja
staceymaples at G+

Skype: stacey.maples

214.641.0920

Find GeoData: https://earthworks.stanford.edu

Get GeoHelp: https://gis.stanford.edu/

"I have a map of the United States... actual size.
It says, "Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile."
I spent last summer folding it."
-Steven Wright-