[HOT] How to handle existing features for #1018 Nepal task

Michael Krämer ohrosm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 06:28:14 UTC 2015

Here a few quick comments to start with. But it comes with a disclaimer: I
am not an expert for the Nepal activation. So these are just my personal
comments as a mapper.

> I'm working on project #1081 Nepal detailed mapping 2nd pass. I'm new to
> OSM but have lots of GIS experience.

Welcome!

(1) The instructions say "do not trace all the paths in the fields or small
> paths of a few hundred meters that do not connect to road networks." If
> there are existing paths like that in the data, should I delete them?

Personally I would not delete them.

> (2) An existing long way tagged "highway=track" appears to start as a
> track that could support motorized vehicles (2 tire tracks are visible),
> but soon becomes very difficult to distinguish and is perhaps impassible.
> I'm guessing it was traced from different imagery (I checked Bing and
> MapBox, per the instructions) - I would not have traced much of it - too
> hard to see. Should I split this long way and label the second part
> 'highway=unclassified' or similar?

Highway tagging can be confusing: If it is not suitable for a car it should
be 'path' instead of 'track' while 'unclassified' is a minor road that does
not classify for 'tertiary' or above. The tag for an unknown road is
'highway=road' but I hardly use that. If you want to know more about
highway tagging I recommend [1] and/or [2].

> (3) Some small hamlets of 5-10 buildings, accessible only by paths, are
> enclosed in existing 'landuse=residential' polygons. The validation
> instructions are to confirm there are highways connecting 'residential'
> areas, and that there are 'residential' polygons around clusters of "20 or
> so houses". Should I remove the 'residential' polygons around tiny hamlets
> that are not on roads?

Again I would not delete them. I guess if there are building there likely
is a path leading there but it might not be visible in the imagery.

Sometimes the instructions for tasks change or for subsequent tasks they
may not be perfectly in alignment. Different mappers will always make
different decision on what to map and what not.

Michael (user Ohr)
---
[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nepal/Roads