[HOT] How to handle existing features for #1018 Nepal task

Milo van der Linden milo at dogodigi.net
Thu Apr 30 06:49:23 UTC 2015

Hello Steve,

I think I understand your questions, I am a GIS expert too. But when I take
on a HOT task I ask myself, which features are critical to first responders?

First of all: Access. So I try to connect networks of roads an tracks
accessible to vehicles.
Second: Possible human presence. So I map buildings. I do not go into
details to much as I feel it is more important they know there is a
building then what the building is shaped like. When I discover a group of
buildings and I do not have time to map them individualy, I create a
residential area. When I come across an existing residential area that is
roughly shaped in a later task and I have time to map the individual
buildings, I do that and reshape or remove the residential area.

And with these, I hope I help lay the basic structure for operations in the
field.

> Here a few quick comments to start with. But it comes with a disclaimer: I
> am not an expert for the Nepal activation. So these are just my personal
> comments as a mapper.

>> I'm working on project #1081 Nepal detailed mapping 2nd pass. I'm new to
>> OSM but have lots of GIS experience.
>>

> Welcome!
>
> (1) The instructions say "do not trace all the paths in the fields or
>> small paths of a few hundred meters that do not connect to road networks."
>> If there are existing paths like that in the data, should I delete them?
>>

> Personally I would not delete them.
>

>> (2) An existing long way tagged "highway=track" appears to start as a
>> track that could support motorized vehicles (2 tire tracks are visible),
>> but soon becomes very difficult to distinguish and is perhaps impassible.
>> I'm guessing it was traced from different imagery (I checked Bing and
>> MapBox, per the instructions) - I would not have traced much of it - too
>> hard to see. Should I split this long way and label the second part
>> 'highway=unclassified' or similar?
>>

> Highway tagging can be confusing: If it is not suitable for a car it
> should be 'path' instead of 'track' while 'unclassified' is a minor road
> that does not classify for 'tertiary' or above. The tag for an unknown road
> is 'highway=road' but I hardly use that. If you want to know more about
> highway tagging I recommend [1] and/or [2].
>

>> (3) Some small hamlets of 5-10 buildings, accessible only by paths, are
>> enclosed in existing 'landuse=residential' polygons. The validation
>> instructions are to confirm there are highways connecting 'residential'
>> areas, and that there are 'residential' polygons around clusters of "20 or
>> so houses". Should I remove the 'residential' polygons around tiny hamlets
>> that are not on roads?
>>

> Again I would not delete them. I guess if there are building there likely
> is a path leading there but it might not be visible in the imagery.
>
> Sometimes the instructions for tasks change or for subsequent tasks they
> may not be perfectly in alignment. Different mappers will always make
> different decision on what to map and what not.
>
> Michael (user Ohr)
> ---
> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa
> [2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nepal/Roads