[HOT] leisure=common

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Aug 7 07:17:01 UTC 2015

On 8/6/2015 1:37 PM, Blake Girardot wrote:
> Those areas are large, short grass or ground/grass areas in villages
> or settlements, often with paths walked across them. They are
> typically common areas for the settlement.
>
> It should not be used on areas that are just a large flat areas out in
> the middle of nowhere or farm fields/farm land.
Although not unique to England, commons do not exist everywhere. I'd be
very reluctant to tag commons without local knowledge, as the key aspect
of commons are the rights of the commoners.

Commons are not always grass areas, they can be forested, where there
would be rights to harvest wood, nor is a common recreation area,
although they sometimes get used for that.