[HOT] Validation

Suzan Reed suzan at suzanreed.com
Sat Aug 29 08:30:01 UTC 2015

Often a tile is worked on by a number of people. Perhaps "ready for review"
accommodates having a number of contributers, and also has the connotation
that it's finished?

Hopefully the new Learn OSM modules and possibly text with each task
pointing newbies to those modules will enlighten them on what it all means
before they contribute.

How can we encourage newbies to take the time to go through some training?

Sent from my phone. Please forgive errors.

On August 28, 2015 10:01:28 PM "Robert Banick" <rbanick at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> An important part of this is being able to ask someone for a second
>> opinion. At a mapathon that’s easy, but where do remote mappers go?
>> m.
>>> On 24 Aug 2015, at 19:00, David Toy <d at vidtoy.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Jarmo. Welcome!
>>>
>>> My introduction/onboarding to HOT was almost identical to Jarmo's - and I
>>> can relate very clearly to all the points he has raised. I suspect that
>>> there are a few more lurkers on this list who will be similar.
>>>
>>> Pierre G's document suggests renaming the 'mark as done' button to 'submit
>>> for review'.
>>>
>>> A simplification of terms / altered workflow would have helped me
>>> initially. Taking the example of the done button, 'submit for review'
>>> implies that:
>>> - a) it's ok to make a mistake getting started - someone will catch it, and
>>> - b) I should expect feedback
>>>
>>> This helps with Jarmo's first and second scenarios, but also softens the
>>> blow when (your first) task is coldly invalidated with only four words of
>>> explanation. (Validators: that's not a criticism - I understand the time
>>> pressure.)
>>>
>>> Also, not all users will read the docs - while training resources are
>>> useful, these little nudges of understanding help all users - even the new
>>> ones who enthusiastically started but didn't read the instructions.
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>> On 24 August 2015 at 17:18, Jarmo Kivekäs <jarmo.kivekas at guttula.com> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I've been lurking on the mailing list for a while, but I'm still fairly
>>> new to HOT. I though I'd pitch in.
>>>
>>> I definitely recognized myself from Martin's write up as belonging to
>>> the set of contributors who commit changes but don't mark tiles as done.
>>> Below are some reasons why I've not marked tiles as complete in the past.
>>>
>>> 1. I think part of the reason is that I started out mapping on my own (I
>>> haven't found a local community, nor was I introduced to mapping on a
>>> mapathon). Therefore I haven't been able to just quickly ask someone
>>> advice about something I'm unsure about. In these cases I've usually
>>> left a comment in the tasking manager about whatever I was unsure about,
>>> mapped the rest, but not marked the tile as done.
>>>
>>> Not marking the tile done is me being conservative, I guess. As a new
>>> mapper it is currently difficult to get feedback on the quality of your
>>> mapping, you pretty much needs to actively seek it out. Getting
>>> notifications when there are new comments on tiles you've worked on
>>> would be nice.
>>>
>>> 2. When parts of a region are already mapped (probably form before the
>>> activation was created) but the tiles that are already mapped are not
>>> marked as done. I'm reluctant to mark a grid as done without making any
>>> changes to it, even if it seemingly fills all the criterion for the
>>> task. Especially when the grid has been locked my multiple users in the
>>> past. "They didn't think it was as done, I'm probably missing