[HOT] Project 1390

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 14:05:29 UTC 2015

It's finished but it might be interesting to look at for a number of
reasons not least is we managed to complete a project.

We had 3 or 4 new mappers who mapped a dozen or so tiles each.  One of
these contacted MSF and asked what could they do to help besides
financially and MSF directed them to HOT and this project.  So we now have
NGOs providing mappers.  I feel quite pleased that we managed to get a lot
of mapping out of new mappers.

The instructions were simple, settlements, connecting roads to be labelled
unclassified, plus rivers.  We had at least two maperthons so the simple
clear instructions helped there.

The imagery was good.

The size of the project was reasonable.  Even so it took us nearly a month
of mapping.

After some initial feedback the quality of mapping improved so less work
for validation towards the end.  One difficulty was finding new mappers who
hadn't marked a tile done but giving feedback to them on their mapping.

I validated most tiles, two tiles were invalidated by mappers with about
two tiles experience.  I only invalidated one tile and that was after
adding a fairly large number of settlements to a previous tile by the same
mapper when I came across a very large settlement that had been missed in
the first few seconds.  The rest I just added what was missing and gave
feedback.

Some more experienced mappers actually mapped more than the instructions
requested which is never bad.

The project was listed as high priority did that concentrate the mappers
efforts?

In other words what can we learn from this project and apply it to other
projects?

Thanks John