[HOT] Questions regarding Missing Maps Mapping Party in the Netherlands

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Wed Feb 4 23:07:49 UTC 2015

JOSM is the editor used by the majority of contributors and skilled skilled contributors are more familiar with it. They probably dont know ID very well and this will reduce their capacity to support the new contributors.  The objective is not to produce a maximum of edits but to start on good bases, to make people confident they understand the principles and will be able to contribute later while back at home.
We observe a lot of errors made by the beginners. It would be important also during the day to look back to the edits and suggest corrections, assure that everybody understand the basic principles of the mapping, how to make precise and accurate mapping with the relevant tags.

For the software installation, what could simply be done in preparation of Mapathons is to send short instructions for JOSM installation
- assure that you have java 7 installed- download JOSM  > The url https://josm.openstreetmap.de/download/josm.jnlp is recommended for all OS.
At the beginning of the session there might be a few contributors that will need support. This should normally be fixed rapidly. Using a projector, it is then possbile to show how to install plugins such as Buildings and UtilsPlugin2 while the skilled contributors support others.
 Pierre