[HOT] A company page for HOT on Linkedin, is it normal ?

Augustin Doury augustindoury at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 23:32:43 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I rename the object of the discussion because from the example of Linkedin,
this email is dealing with a bigger issue. Begining of the discussion is
available at the bottom.

If the HOT US Inc organization have a "company" page on Linkedin, I don't
really feel affected even if it's not insignificant.
I know this designation of « HOT US Inc » embarasses some people but this
is a main part of the essence of the problem : the distinction between HOT
as a project and HOT US Inc as an US-based NGO. So I will use "HOT US Inc"
as a convenient way to refer to this organization.

By creating this page, the Communication Working Group must use a different
name of « Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team ». By using this inappropriate
designation, the HOT US Inc organization keeps up the monopolization of
public/private positions around the HOT objectives, speaking as if you were
representing the thousands of volunteers working with praiseworthy
motivations, it's how people can feel about this, it's how I feel.

 Let's begin with an example :
I work as a volunteer for the Projet Espace OSM Francophone in Burkina Faso
for the year 2015 to support the growth of the local OSM community,
improve the map and to outreach civil society, academics, authorities,
association, medias etc. (last blog post
<http://projeteof.org/le-local-dosm-burkina-est-ouvert/>) We organized
mapathons to support, with other african communities, Ebola response : we
are here in the heart of the HOT Project.
But what happens ? people like the HOT concept, they go on the internet and
search for "Humanitarian OSM Team" : they find hotosm.org with the HOT logo.

They see the page "Leadership" with "Finance" or "Membership" sections, or
the page "Get Involved" with the "Joining the organization" section ...
and they ask "hum...but OpenStreetMap is not a free, open and collaborative
project ?", "are you working for them ?", « HOT is american ? »
And now the new "company" page on Linkedin will reinforce this kind of
dangerous confusion : this is not insignificant.

Everybody is free to choose his/her approach within the HOT concept but
what occurs now is that choices are more and more restricted, less choices
for individuals, for us, volunteers … because of this monopolization.

Just put this in the context of the wide OSM community : imagine that ALL
the information linked to OSM project was linked to a specific-country
incorporated organization called ... OSM ! same logo, same name, same aims,
same websites, same tools … Here is the problem !

HOT is a powerful name, built by a collaborative work !
It can't be taken away by anybody, by any organization, even if the birth
of the organization was intimately linked to the birth of the project :
same context, same people ...

It's not a good approach to say "you should join us in Working Groups" to
help decide the future of HOT ... this is really time-consuming, in english
with a majority of native-english speaker and people don't seem to be
pretty interested by this kind of concern (it has been already raised for 1
year now and it's worse and worse).
Within the HOT Project the responsability :
- of the membership is to be challenging and demanding because we can do
best for the HOT project.
- of the community is to refuse the consequent appropriation of his HOT
Project by an organization growing quickly.
- of the board of the HOT US Inc organization is to do the best to preserve
the independence, the autonomy of the HOT Project and not be at the source
of these dangerous confusions because your power is now too large.

Proposition : again it shows the importance of defining a HOT Project +
Charter + Commons as it's nicely explained in Severin's diary here
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/sev_hotosm/diary/21846

gus

PS : as an element of context, I'd like to remind that I worked 6 months as
a volunteer for the HOT US Inc organization in Senegal in 2012
<http://hotosm.org/projects/senegal_0>

Augustin Doury
+22660717822
Projet Espace OpenStreetMap Francophone | projeteof.org | @ProjetEOF