[HOT] WRI forest tracks import in Congo Basin

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 02:18:41 UTC 2015

Hi, Jorieke:

Thanks for sharing your views.

I've been working with the UNICEF data import in CAR, and using that
import to map thousands of new roads in that country since a year ago.
Apart from GNS data, I used the WRI data from the import that you
EUROSHA folks were doing in the TM [1].

Although quality of WRI data was less than acceptable in some cases, it
was helpful for me, as it gave a quick idea of where roads and tracks
were located, ways that otherwise would/could pass unadverted for me.

I obviously couldn't check all 8,555 segments of the Cameroon file [2],
but I checked quite many of them. I've seen all kind of issues, and
that's not surprise for such an amount of data.

Some of those issues (mainly errors like overshoots, dangles, etc.) are
addressed in the workflow wiki for this import [3].

About the accuracy, I've seen most of the combinations in just one
single area. Sometimes, I see that WRI is actually more accurate than
OSM data, and similar to real data (real data being traced with hires
Mapbox and WRI coming from lowres Landsat) (see [4] - in red OSM data,
in green WRI data and in blue the real data). Sometimes, OSM data and
WRI data are similar, and in other cases WRI ways are worse, sometimes
to the point of not being eligible to import. How to deal with this is
also part of the Workflow wiki.

Another issue that will have to be corrected during the import or during
the validation that will follow are some tracks that are tagged as
abandoned:track that look open/active when checked against Mapbox hires.
Some others look to be correctly tagged anyway [5].

The plan is not only to correct these data and to import/merge it to
OSM, but also to add more tracks and other contextual forestry data
during the validation process. Having these information will improve any
research on logging (legal and ilegal) in one of the most important
forest reserves in the world.

I've sent an email to the talk-cm but didn't receive any answer yet. I
am not sure about the DRC, but never heard of any OSM local community
for the other 4 countries, and that's why I asked HOT list for comments.
As you know, the import guidelines ask for local OSM communities to be
fine with the import as one the requisites.

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1] http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/219
[2]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ys58zv40yfr0um3/CMR_Forestry_roadsFINAL.osm?dl=0
[3]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_WRI_Congo_Basin_Forestry_Roads_Workflow
[4]  (see [4] - in red OSM data, in green WRI data and in blue the real
data)
[5] https://flic.kr/p/qRkcYp