[HOT] Validation

althio althio.forum at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 13:59:56 UTC 2015

My personal views is that statuses done/validated/invalidated should be
related to progress and quality of the current state of mapping.
We should not use that to give feedback or give implicitly a notation to
previous mappers.
Use comments (with @-mentions) for feedback.
A "notation" of mappers is a very complex and different problem.

Pragmatic / Real situation answers

Empty tile or most work not done: invalidated, short comment.

A bit of work left to do ie. a few missing elements or tagging errors. I
would do corrections to bring the mapping standard up to required level, I
would add detailed comment to provide feedback or guidance. If I am
confident enough with the previous work and my minor edits, I validate
since the tile is now OK. Otherwise I leave it to another reviewer.

In between? It depends on the mood and available time obviously and the
limits between cases are fuzzy.
If I have too little time or it is too much corrections I would go for the
comments only with @-mentions, most of the time with no further
validation/invalidation. If I avoid invalidation I hope the comment is
enough for track record and bring attention to previous and potential
mappers. This is taking care of community over quality and I appreciate
that opinions may differ.