[HOT] Work begins on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas

John White jwpwhite at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 16:02:51 UTC 2015

Hi Blake
Thanks for the valuable suggestions.
We have made a start by reaching out to the management at Serengeti
National Park however I have not hear back from them as yet.
I like your idea of contacting local travel related organisations as they
have a lot to benefit from have a quality map of the area.

To help manage who has been contacted (local businesses, websites, Facebook
groups etc.), I have created an open Google Docs spreadsheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QUN93LqBqn5XEnnfQixP3u-K2Dzq7q7DBW6a39Xigcc/edit?usp=sharing>.
A link to the spreadsheet has been added to the task manager.

Regards
John

On 14 January 2015 at 19:48, Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Congrats on kicking off the Projects!
>
> Do you or anyone on the list have any idea how we can get in contact with
> "adventure tourism" or "eco tourism" people (consumers or vendors)?
>
> Companies that offer eco or adventure tourism rely on these areas staying
> protected so they have an incentive to help us with on the ground with gps
> traces or gps cooridinates for PoI's.
>
> Not to mention they would get credit as the source for helping collect
> this data in OSM.
>
> And the same thing for consumers who go on eco/adventure tourism, they
> have an incentive help keep these areas protected and would probably love
> to help contribute to these projects in some way and have on the ground
> experience.
>
> How can we get our message out to these places and people?
>
> Websites? Facebook groups? Travel industry trade organizations?
>
> If people can identify people/places/organizations I am glad to start
> spreading the word, but my limited tries so far have not realized any
> results.
>
> Or are you already working with companies or groups?
>
> cheers,
> Blake
>

> On 1/14/2015 5:48 PM, John White wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>> I am please to announce that work has begun on Mapping Africa's
>> Protected Areas. The first two National Parks selected for mapping
>> are Serengeti National Park (Task 834
>> <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/834>) and Niokolo-Koba National Park
>> (Task 721 <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/721>).
>>
>> As many of you are aware, Africa's National Parks, Nature Reserves and
>> Game Reserves are an important and sustainable sources of foreign
>> currency, jobs and upliftment in many countries on the African
>> continent. Your assistance in mapping protected areas will help support
>> tourism activity and therefore the surrounding communities.
>>
>> For more information on the list of reserves to be mapped, please visit:
>> Our WikiProject
>> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_African_
>> National_Parks_and_Reserves>
>> Our Facebook Page <https://www.facebook.com/mappingprotectedareas>