[HOT] Waterway Tags

AYTOUN RALPH ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 22 08:29:25 UTC 2015

Hi Blake and Russell, thanks...you have pointed me to the lists I need to
approach regarding this. Great help and saved me a lot of nosing around. I
understand some of the problems of waterways. As Senior Cartographer for
Philip's World Reference Atlases I had to find a happy medium trying to
make one size fit all so that each geographic feature is represented the
same throughout the atlas even though it may be called something different
with slightly adjusted definitions in each country.
The rendering on the map is a lot easier to sort than the tagging where
each person is looking for their local name on the tag. A wadi/gulch/dry
water channel/arroyo/wash or whatever it is called can still have the same
symbol to depict it.
You picked up my direction..that there is two separate issues here... the
visual depiction on the map..... and the tagging to assist electronic
addressing (tying the tag to the different names so that the search picks
up wadi, or whatever is chosen, as being all of those things despite slight
variations in definitions)
I have now signed up to the tagging lists so I can keep up with what is
happening there and can also approach the correct people regarding the
rendering on the map.
Russell...your pointer was fine and I did quickly find the archived thread
which is relevant to my proposal.
Again...thanks for the help.