[HOT] Humanitarian Mapping for a class

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Jan 22 21:26:25 UTC 2015

On 1/22/2015 10:53 AM, Mueller, Thomas wrote:

> Obviously this should not be a difficult for them, but I am hoping it
> will accomplish several objectives including:
>
> 1)Help map the area
>
> 2)Help the students understand how they can “donate” their time to
> help (within a topic in their field)
>
> 3)Hopefully this will become part of their routine so they will
> continue, etc.

I would recommend you start off with an assignment mapping their area -
it's much easier to learn to map when you know what an area looks like
from personal experience.

> I have one question – how is the best way for me to check that they
> have completed this assignment every week?  Should I have them copy
> and paste their history on to a Word Document?  Is there a better way?
If you get their OSM username you can then view their contributions for
the last week and check their changesets. Tools like achavi
(http://nrenner.github.io/achavi/) can be used to visualize a changeset
and hdyc (http://hdyc.neis-one.org/) can be used to look a users total
contributions.