[HOT] LearnOSM - updates

althio althio.forum at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 17:29:01 UTC 2015

> > export possible of this glossary file
>
> ... really good idea ...
> Transifex supports multiple localization formats [1] ...
> ... translation methods are not consistent across OSM [2]
>... iD editor ... already use translated strings from there [3] directly
into LearnOSM.

Thanks Cristiano for the overview of translation in the OSM world and in
QGIS.
AFAIU the file/data/glossary that should be shared across projects is the
"Translation Memory" [transifex:6,wikipedia:7] as in TMX-XML file. I don't
know how this relates to the glossary CSV file that is available inside
iD at Transifex [8,9].

> QGIS rely on Transifex for both software and documentation localizations
[4].
> It may be worth asking them how well it works for that purpose.

Indeed. Maybe it was chosen to use only one tool hence Transifex was used
first for software and then also for documentation. They should have a good
understanding of pros and cons about Transifex or even other translation
tools and methods.

@ Paolo and developers of software with localised documentation
Did you get any feedback from your translators (end user of Transiflex) and
your 'final' end users (using your software documentation)? About ease of
work, required technical ability, quality of writing and so on? Do you
think that some people with language proficiency were not able to
contribute because of any technical barrier in the proposed workflow?

> Should we continue this discussion over at the LearnOSM-Coord list [5]?

I am quite happy with the wider audience here for global community
brainstorming, general ideas and feedback. We do not have many developers
and would-be translators in our internal list.

We can continue at the internal LearnOSM-Coord list for more detailed or
technical discussions and proposals specific to LearnOSM.
LearnOSM specificities:
- no software, documentation only.
- in the current form (for the good or the bad) it is not a one-way
translation from master-English to other languages. Translators and editors
in other language are free to propose, add or update contents in localised
versions without waiting for English version.
- intended for all levels, with high focus on beginners.

[6] http://docs.transifex.com/developer/api/tm
[7] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_Memory_eXchange
[8] https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/id-editor/glossary/
[9] https://www.transifex.com/ajax/projects/p/id-editor/glossary/download/