[HOT] LearnOSM - updates

Cristiano Giovando cristiano.giovando at hotosm.org
Wed Jan 28 23:04:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 8:21 AM, althio <althio.forum at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there an export possible of this glossary file from transifex or other
> translation tools?
> Such a file could be maintained and shared for different OSM-HOT projects
> that need translation.
> For consistency and ease of translation of technical terms across wiki,
> software, documentation...

That's actually a really good idea. It could benefit not just HOT, but
the wider OSM community. It looks like Transifex supports multiple
localization formats [1], so it should not be a problem for
interoperability with other projects.

I also noticed that translation methods are not consistent across OSM
[2] anyway, but many of them rely on Transifex. The iD editor for
example is one of them, so we may be able to already use translated
strings from there [3] directly into LearnOSM.

Projects like QGIS rely on Transifex for both software and
documentation localizations [4]. It may be worth asking them how well
it works for that purpose.

Should we continue this discussion over at the LearnOSM-Coord list [5]?

[1] http://docs.transifex.com/developer/formats/
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Translation
[3] https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/id-editor/
[4] https://www.transifex.com/organization/qgis