[HOT] Request for help/guidance on a project to test diarrheal disease interventions in Kendua Sub-District, Bangladesh.

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 23:13:48 UTC 2015

> Also I was thinking it might be good to set up an OSM Bangla Skype group to try to coordinate all the upcoming projects a little bit.  Very good idea. It's what we do during a crisis activation, but just as needed during ongoing projects with many partners.
Jorieke, I started a Skype chat with you and a few folks I know are involved in Bangladesh. Let's get the folks involved there, and get the channel going.
-Mikel
* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

     On Saturday, January 31, 2015 5:06 AM, Jorieke Vyncke <jorieke.vyncke at gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi Stace and Eric,
 Pete is talking about the same people as I did toyou before. Some of our Bangladesh mappers are now also on this list... But Iwill sent you a follow up mail on this. Further I like very much your idea, and would liketo give you some input. Talking out of my experience; to trace patients,not necessarily all buildings are needed in the first phase. To track patientsthe main important this is to be able to locate people. So this meanscollecting locally used neighbourhood names, locally used street names, and landmarks used by the people. Buildings are inmy view then a second step. I don't know how big the area is you're focused on?Maybe you can quickly point it on a Umap for us? Fingers crossed, for good imagery in the area of interest... Also I was thinking it might be good to set up anOSM Bangla Skype group to try to coordinate all the upcoming projects a littlebit. Lastly there was also interest of Terre des Hommes, the American Red Crossis going to do more things in spring,... So we can coordinate a bit and shareresources and thoughts on mapping in the very particular context of Bangladesh.Please let me know if you are interested in this.
Best greetings,
Jorieke

Hi Stace, I have just come back from Dhaka (literally on Thursday), where we were working with the local OSM community to map two areas, Kamrangirchar and Hazaribagh, for the Missing Maps project. We worked with between 10-30 volunteers of varying skills each day for two weeks. They are a smart and enthusiastic bunch and most said they planned to keep mapping anyway. They all have experience in using field papers and surveys and Osmand, and most have at least a days experience using JOSM to edit / upload.I have email addresses and phone numbers if you want them or you can contact them via the OpenStreetMap Bangladesh Facebook page.There are also a number of very experienced mappers / OSM focused GIS people I can put you in touch with directly.Let me know what you think...Cheers,PeteOn 30 Jan 2015 21:38, "Stacey Maples" <stacemaples at stanford.edu> wrote:

All,
I'm working with a faculty member studying the efficacy of mobile app based interventions, who needs detailed street and building footprints for his pilot. He is working in the Kendua sub-district of Bangladesh, initially, and needs data for health workers to use to identify cholera patients homes/home village, pharmacies, etc... I've pasted his abstract, below. If he finds efficacy, he will likely expand the project to other sub-districts. We are wondering several things:
 First, what is the process to have a project added to the Task Manager?
Second, do you happen to currently have mappers in this area who could work on this?
Finally, we may be able to obtain gps traces from food delivery drivers to upload to OSM. It would be great to have a training for them if there are mappers in the area, or in Dhaka who would be willing to travel. Wondering who to contact about the possibility of that (I know bulk uploads are frowned upon unless coordinated with OSM).
Thanks in advance for your time, I've pasted the abstract for the project, below my signature.

In F,L&T,
Stace Maples
Geospatial Manager
Stanford Geospatial Center
@mapninja
staceymaples at G+
Get GeoHelp: https://gis.stanford.edu/
"I have a map of the United States... actual size.
It says, "Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile."
I spent last summer folding it."
-Steven Wright-

Leveraging mobile technology to improve clinical outcomes and scientific research of the second leading cause of childhood death: diarrheal disease

Abstract
Diarrheal disease is the second leading cause of death among children under 5 years of age globally. We are specifically interested in the diarrheal disease cholera because of the devastating impact the disease has on at-risk populations and the emerging opportunities to leverage mobile technology to overcome fundamental clinical, epidemiologic, and scientific challenges. Despite effective treatments and advances in provider education, cholera case fatality rates remain unacceptably high. Conventional methods have been unable to overcome barriers to provide patients timely access to care in resource-poor settings. This is especially true early in outbreaks because response teams are slow to mobilize and cholera can infect, transmit and kill in less than 20 hours. Our research challenge is to take an unconventional approach to develop a new method using mobile technology to identify outbreak clusters early, improve care, and advance our basic understanding of the disease. The specific aims of this project are to (i) develop mobile technology for clinical decision support and real-time epidemiology, (ii) test the mobile-technology and determine microbial correlates to disease progression at the hospital level, and (iii) test the mobile-technology and determine microbial correlates to disease progression at the community level. We chose to develop and test this strategy in partnership with the Ministry of Health of Bangladesh at a site with high cholera morbidity and relatively high mortality. We anticipate this NIH funded research will provide an exciting cross-departmental forum for collaboration and training, as well as a pathway to discovery that will directly benefit populations inflicted with diseases like cholera.

Eric Jorge Nelson, MD PhD
Pediatric Global Health Physician Scientist Instructor,
Division of Infectious Diseases Department of Pediatrics,
Stanford University School of Medicine
Email: eric.nelson.mdphd at gmail.com
Telephone: (857)-492-2174
Address: Beckman B241, School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305-5323