[HOT] Fwd: [info-hotosm] Tiles download request

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:28:02 UTC 2015

I think it depends which range of off line devices you're thinking of.
OSMAND would seem a natural fit for Android devices you might need to
download the relevant bits off OSM, there are ways to do this from the
planet file which others can detail.  Quite a number of HOT clients are
familiar with OSMAND.

Once you have the OSM file you'd probably want to merge in the other
information you have then create a .obf file for OSMAND.  I'd hesitate to
depend on OSM for the pharmacy locations etc only because these can be
modified by anyone.  However if you do a TRA (Threat Risk Analysis) you may
decide the benefits of a simpler process plus the range of export options
from OSM out weigh the minor risk.  I think there are ways to tag certain
things and put a watch on them to make sure they remain untouched. It would
certainly simplify matters.

Yes having your own software would be nice but weighed against training
costs and support costs I'd go OSMAND which is already in use in many of
these areas.  They have already solved the file size problems and its
available in many languages adding more is a fairly minor matter.

Cheerio John