[HOT] Follow up on Academic Research Discussion from the HOT Summit

Robert Soden robert.soden at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 07:03:45 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

A few of us organized a group discussion at the HOT Summit back in April on
partnerships with academic researchers.  Everyone in the session seemed to
agree that research on HOTs activities has the potential to be beneficial
and should be encouraged but that there needed to be a clearer statement
from HOT both inviting that research as well as setting some ground-rules
for how we would like to be approached, interacted with, and some of the
research topics we thought would be valuable.

Based on that session, we have drafted a short note here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FJmhy9Lpm67d1NfhwPV1fWfxsMZRU5bYxmK9e8DR3aI/edit

and sketched a few initial ideas on what we think would be interesting to
partner with academics on:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SmlYKkpl0tCV-5KKIuv25SWGgwf90OScgfwqfGXaBKg/edit#

I think the goal, if there are no major objections, would be to get some
input from the HOT community on both of these documents and then move them
to wiki page where they could live as resources to point researchers to
when they reach out to us.

Please feel free to make any suggestions to the documents, follow up with
me here, or send me an email offline - whichever you prefer.

Thanks!
Robert