[HOT] paths, tracks and unclassified in West Africa

Eric Sibert courrier at eric.sibert.fr
Wed Jul 15 10:40:22 UTC 2015

I'm jumping late in the discussion.

I will talk about my experience in Madagascar, which is not West
Africa but more East Africa/Indian Ocean.

Lets consider Namoroka National Park area:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/-16.4473/45.4233

This a back country area with few population (5 hab./kmĀ²). All roads
are unpaved.

I use tertiary for the main road that give access to the main town of
"commune" although such road may only be used with 4WD cars. For
instance:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/-16.5335/45.5859
In dry season, there should be a taxi-brousse on a daily basis.

I use unclassified for roads that frequently see motor vehicles.
Frequently can means on a weekly basis with trucks or tractors
collecting agricultural products. Between Vilanandro and Bekomanga
(North), there is also a significant cattle car traffic (>10 per day).

In opposite, the road following the North-East limit of the park
usually don't see motor vehicle but just several cattle cars per day.
Although it is joining a significant village (Vilanandro) to a
significant hamlet (Namoroka, 20 huts?), I classified it as track. One
may think that this is an important road because this is the only one
that is going to Namoroka. Indeed, most a people are going by foot and
use other path instead of the track.

If you want more details, don't hesitate to ask. I may also have a
bunch of geolocalized pictures.

Eric