[HOT] LearnOSM Glossary

Nick Allen nick.allen.54 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 22:51:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

Personally I'd prefer a single glossary within LearnOSM [1] which is
available in many languages. If you don't know what a term or acronym
means, you won't know where to search for it, hence my preference for a
single glossary. LearnOSM is linked from a number of sources which are
HOT related and is expected to provide the answers for those who wish to
donate their time and expertise through HOT.

For instance visit the Tasking Manager [2] now and you will find 5 of
the first 6 tasks refer to 'IDP Informal camps'. You will not find an
explanation of 'IDP'  within many other glossaries. Perhaps a search of
the TM for other terms that should be included?

The search engine of LearnOSM only searches for the title of a module or
guide, so it will not find words within the module or guide itself. It
would make sense to have all of the entries listed in alphabetic order
to make finding the terms easier, although you can also use the 'Ctrl+f'
function to search most documents. For most subjects within the glossary
I believe it would be sensible to provide a short explanation, but then
link to another site that has a fuller explanation for those who wish to
explore further.

Many people have helped to provide translations for LearnOSM and
hopefully they will continue to support HOT by continuing with their
production of translations. We've just started using Transifex [3] for
our translations, which should make the process simpler. We're more
likely to be able to provide more translations for a glossary on
LearnOSM than an entry somewhere else is able to provide.

[1] http://learnosm.org/
[2] http://tasks.hotosm.org/
[3] https://www.transifex.com

Regards

Nick

On 24/07/15 17:28, althio wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am not sure how to handle the glossary mixture of:
> - basic OSM terms
> - basic HOT terms
> - advanced HOT/Activation terms
>
> I mean the growing glossary page could become overwhelming for a beginner.
>
> What do you think?
> All glossay in one continuous page? One page, sections by topics?
> Differents pages, one glossary by section
> (beginner/JOSM/remote/Activation...)?
>

> Back to the content, a few proposals:
> - We could read through the content of LearnOSM to flag terms that
> need to be included in the glossary (best done by newcomers!)
> - We could take a pick in the OSM wiki glossary and see if any of
> those terms is used in LearnOSM
> [OSM wiki glossary] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Glossary
>

> Best
>
> althio
>
> On 13 July 2015 at 22:51, Yachtsman Dev <yachtsman.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> My name is Anwaario and I am one of the LearnOSM Interns this summer.
>>
>> I have been tasked with improving  the LearnOSM glossary .
>>
>> Help us make the LearnOSM glossary more informative by forwarding  your
>> vocabulary suggestions.
>>
>> This is an ongoing project and new terms will be added and live as soon as
>> they are approved by my mentors.
>>
>> All replies should be sent directly to both me and the list.
>>

>> Respectfully,
>>

>> Anwaario
>>
>> --
>>

>> skype: hahafresh