[HOT] Level of user experience to focus on

Martin Dittus martin at dekstop.de
Sat Jun 6 11:35:11 UTC 2015

> On 6 Jun 2015, at 10:29, Milo van der Linden <milo at dogodigi.net> wrote:
>
> It is my personal opinion that the level of expertise is less important then the motivation for people to participate and their abbility to adapt. As an example; What is better, a geospatial expert that is conceited or even cocky or a new mapper that has a lot of time and is eager to learn?

As a random data point, based on my review of contribution data:
- during Haiyan/Yolanda, 30% of the contributors had no prior OSM edits before their first HOT edit
- Ebola response: 50%
- Missing Maps projects (since November): 75%.

I think it’s safe to assume that as HOT grows even further this number will remain high, particularly for high-profile initiatives. For many contributors, HOT will be the entry-point for OSM mapping: they don’t necessarily come because they want to map, they come because they want to help out.

However there’s certainly a discussion to be had about where these newcomers should best be routed in the very beginning. Lots of great ideas in this thread!

m.