[HOT] Epworth Field Papers - The Zimbabwe Connection. Advice on JOSM categorisation.

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 21:13:43 UTC 2015

Rupert,

What would really help us in this discussion is a few examples each of
the various kinds of addresses.  If you could provide us with the full
text for a few addresses (all the way out to the country level), and a
description of what they mean (if that is not obvious from the address
itself), then we could give you better feedback.  OSM already supports
a great many address formats from around the world, so it is likely
there are already others similar to these ones you describe.

My guess is that you are going to want to put all of the information
in tags like addr:block, address:neighbourhood, address:housenumber,
and address:housename as the various ones.  For local Chief's houses
and things like that, the idea of the amenity=townhall tag has been
proposed as well, but I think this is maybe not the best tag.  In any
case, these things have been considered somewhat and would greatly
benefit from a better local understanding of the context surrounding
these terms and the social significance of these places.  We
understand what tagging exists in OSM but we know little about how
people who live in these places actually find their way around and use
the address system they have.  Without this understanding it is
difficult to say which of the addressing schemes makes the most sense.

- -AndrewBuck