[HOT] Map-a-thon getting 509 Bandwidth Exceeded error

Nicholas Doiron nickd at codeforamerica.org
Mon Jun 22 04:56:54 UTC 2015

Hi Mikel,

I sent the IP address to the osm-dev IRC chat about 24 hours ago. Maybe
someone can dig it up?

I should note that I was running an app to review our users' changesets and
count features added. This may have pushed us over a short-term throttling
limit, but not the longer-term daily limits.
https://github.com/mapmeld/osm-scorekeeper

There are three more organic factors which affected our downloading:
- our new mappers panned and zoomed over a large area, downloading more data
- our area is dense with buildings data
- our area has many Mongolian gers, which are circular ways

I was under the impression that people *can* request a reset, if an admin
is online, but admins currently can't schedule or whitelist IPs ahead of
time.

If there's anyone who would look over the C++ for the rate limiter
<https://github.com/zerebubuth/openstreetmap-cgimap/blob/b210b5c0bc8eee002405837fa6ed2544c32149e6/src/rate_limiter.cpp>
and explain it to a web-stack developer like myself, please contact me
off-list.

-- Nick Doiron