[HOT] Introducing myself to OSM world

Alfred Bockarie asbock2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:34:38 UTC 2015

Dear All

I am a Sierra Leonean lecturing in the Institute of Environmental
Management and Quality Control, School of Environmental Science, Njala
University Sierra Leone. I also serve as Independent Contractor for
George Mason University as GIS and Database Expert for a disease
surveillance and research laboratory (Mercy Hospital research Lab)
located in Bo City, Sierra Leone. I have done many consultancies for
local and international organisations in Sierra Leone and co-authored
many article publications in science journals. Among my skills
include;

•	GIS data capture using GPS and mobile handheld devices (ODK Collect,
Collector for ArcGIS, Avenza pdfmaps, Mytracks etc..)
•	GIS mapping using desktop software packages (ArcGIS 10.2,
GlobalMapper, Google Earth and QGIS) and Internet based platforms
(ArcGIS Online, Openstreetmap, Google Map, Mapguide and Ushahidi).
•	Development of relational databases for data management and analysis
using MS Access, FileMaker pro and SQL
•	Production of electronic based survey forms for mobile data
collection using android devices
•	Research data analysis and reporting using SPSS, MS Excel and ArcGIS

I wish to formally join in contributing to openstreet mapping of our
homes, communities and countries to help solve a host of problems we
are currently facing due to lack of spatial data

GIS would have been a better tool to fight the West Africa Ebola
outbreak but the outbreak came in meeting no relevant spatial data in
store. If each incident case would have been mapped from start, it
would have been possible to easily know the outbreak patterns and
hotspot areas, and the statistically significant factors contributing
to the hotspots. Through this, contact tracing could have been more
effective and resources would have been properly allocated.

I want to become a reputable researcher and hardcore professional in
areas of geographic information systems, management information
systems and research. I am operating a registered NGO in Sierra Leone
called Research Agency for Health and Development (RAHD-Salone) with
primary aim to promote research in areas of public and environmental
health. One of our objectives is to provide research tools and
information to organizations in line with their project objectives so
as to be able to solve problems limited by research.

RAHD intends to create a data hub for storage of spatial and textual
data so that researchers national and international can tap from them
for their research work and be able to provide appropriate policy
recommendations.

I hope the OSM community will partner with RAHD in modelling the world
for better planning and easy navigation.

Regards

Alfred S. Bockarie

email: asbock2 at gmail.com
mobile: +23278624276

"Every answer must lead to a new question, and life will go on"