[HOT] Introducing myself to OSM world

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 00:19:53 UTC 2015

Thank you Alfred for introducing yourself to the mailing list and for
your interest in joining our community.  Just to let everyone know,
Alfred and I spoke via skype last week and discussed his mapping of
the town of Bo. He has contributed hundreds of POI names and addresses
for the town already and is interested in further collaborating with
HOT in order to more effectively map the town.  I suggested that he
post a message here to introduce himself and join the list so we could
discuss with the broader group how best to move forward in finishing
the map of the town.

As it currently stands, the town of Bo has most of the buildings
mapped (although they were apparently mapped from old imagery) as well
as most of the roads.  This means the additional tracing work by our
remote volunteers could contribute is somewhat limited, but not
completely impossible to make further contributions.  For example, the
imagery the buildings were traced from was mis-aligned according to
bing/gps traces in the area and also the building shapes are not quite
perfect.

This situation means the mapping is a bit trickier than just working
from a blank slate, however I think it is an interesting opportunity
to test our skills on a more complete town as well as working out a
good workflow for integrating remote and on the ground mapping and
trying to find better ways of doing both.

I encourage others who are experienced mappers to have a look at the
town, how it is mapped so far, and to think about how we might move
forward from this point.  Alfred is interested in doing more ground
surveys with his team, so I think we can have a really interesting mix
of local and remote participation and this could be a really good test
case for more detailed mapping.

I look forward to hearing what others on the list think about this
project and am excited to see how this will progress.

- -AndrewBuck