[HOT] Introducing myself to OSM world

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Tue Jun 23 22:12:30 UTC 2015

Hi Alfred,
Andrew and I did coordinate the Activation and passed some time around all of this area.  We did everything possible working remotely to make the map. But there are limits to our mapping contribution. We cannot add local infos.

This is a great opportunity to have somebody like you and other people from the local community to complete the map adding POI and address names. We will be pleased to support your community. And as you saw working on Skype with Andrew, there are interesting ways to support at distance.

There was already some mapping done for Bo last year before the international community contributed to complete the coverage of Bo.
I agree with you Andrew, the building outlines are quite sketchy. It would be easy to erase / redraw. But I think that it is important to keep history of the work done  before by local mappers. We should then avoid to erase / redraw the buildings.
We can prepare Task Manager Jobs to have the collaboration of the HOT-OSM community to revise the geometry of buildings and roads.
The Replace Geometry functionality in  JOSM can be used to redraw rapidly the buildings. Adding instructions in the Task Manager, it should be easy for the contributors to follow the workflow using the Replace Geometry. I did a rapid test, moving the building aside, re-tracing it and then selecting the Replace Geometry to update it's geometry. It works fine.  Revising highways should be easier.

For the Field work, we can provide you some learning material and support you in the first steps to update the map.

regard

Pierre