[HOT] Not Gone...A Change in Relationship

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Mon Mar 9 10:12:35 UTC 2015

Many people will know that Kate has been at the core of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team from the beginning, doing a very professional job of building the organisation as a whole, and particularly the side of the organisation which does things like giving staff contracts and salaries, negotiating funding via grant proposals, and presenting a professional face to partners and funders. i.e. the organised bit of the organisation! There are so many of us (myself included) enjoying spare-time volunteering for HOT, which is hugely valuable of course, but Kate's contribution has been on another level.

You may be thinking "well she was paid to do all of this", but we didn't pay her anywhere near enough, and we treated her badly in lots of other ways. Despite this she stuck at it for as long as this, and she performed the Executive Director role with dedication, passion, and professionalism.

These will be big shoes to fill, and we will need to have a conversation about how to manage a difficult transition, since Kate will be moving on to a new full time job elsewhere.

Despite that, I feel happy that for my friend Kate. Happy that she will looking after herself for a change. She deserves it.  Thank you Kate, for all your hard work!

Harry