[HOT] Not Gone...A Change in Relationship

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Tue Mar 10 07:19:28 UTC 2015

Dear Kate & all in the HOT community,

Kate:
While being happy for you for your exciting new work opportunity I must say
that I am not just sad to see you leave but slightly shocked. And I know
I'm not alone in my feeling this.

You've been one of the few truly crucial people in building HOT to become
what it is today. Building a solid foundation for continuing to build upon.
The project has moved and it's moved fast. We've seen growth in projects,
tools development, community, organization, partnerships. There have been
times of excitement, times of turbulence, clear challenges and recoveries.
You've endured and helped the organization grow and mature.

Having been on board since last February and service as the president of
the board since last fall I've been really blown away by the energy with
which you've kept on cracking the things that have needed cracking, working
on the pieces that have needed to be worked on.

To all of the community:
Many of you know this well, but seconding Harry's and Heather's comments
Kate has really been a godsend for HOT. We would not have gotten even our
registration pieced together, bylaws written if she would not have picked
it up. And that was just one of the very first steps in the history of HOT!

And Kate, again:
As noted, I'm not just happy for you for the new opportunity but slightly
shocked too: We're loosing you just when we got things matured to a certain
level!? Now that we're starting to have much-needed policies in place! when
HOT / use of OSM is just making its way to being widely recognized..

But perhaps that's just the perfect time for you to move on? The community
is really stronger than ever, partnerships are looking good / stable,
a first-ever dedicated HOT Summit is strongly in the making and altogether
we have more people than ever with various skills to help HOT transition to
the next stage in its path. The board elections are just around the corner
(literally!) and we have many good candidates.

Changes are scary. They are never painless. But stopping to reflect a bit
more I'm sure HOT will be fine with this transition -- quite likely better
than it would have ever before if you would have moved on earlier!

So with some sadness I wish you all the best to your new endeavor(s) and
with gratitude I want to thank you for all that you have done to build HOT.
And I look forward to continuing to see you around, of course, in your new
non-staff role.

Suuri lämmin kiitos ja kumarrus!
-Jaakko

--
jaakko at helleranta.com * Skype: jhelleranta
* Mobile: +505-8131-0729 (Nicaragua) * Voice(mail) / SMS: +1-202-730-9778 *