[HOT] Malawi Floods - "residential areas" vs. individual buildings

Kretzer kretzer at gmx.net
Tue Mar 10 17:35:09 UTC 2015

while mapping some rural areas in the lake region, I was often debating with myself when it makes sense to draw a "residential area" - there are many buildings thinly spread over a wide area that seems to be used for agriculture. Like here: http://osm.org/go/lsN196yb--?layers=H
With myself I agreed on the rule that we would map a residential area, if there are more than two larger buildings close together, otherwise just map individual buildings. Does that make sense? I guess the advanteage of the areas is that they are visible at a smaller scale. On the other hand is seems silly to cover all the agricultaral land with "residentisl" tags.

By the way, wouldn't it be cool to have a place to ask such questions right in the Task Manager? Or at least have some FAQs there? I just noticed in another task - Mayendit, South Sudan, that is - that many people have the some questions about the conrete task. Like "what are the round shapes here?" - "how can I tell the difference between a ditch and a path" - "how do we deal with different imagery from different seasons?" - how do we tag the roads here?"
This would certainly ad to the workload of the organizers, but I think it would be useful to achieve more conistent mapping. 

More information about the HOT mailing list