[HOT] 2015 Board/Chair Election Voting Period is now Open

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Sat Mar 14 01:28:25 UTC 2015

Greetings HOT,

As the 2015 Board of Directors and Chair for the voting members Election
continues, it is my pleasure to announce the start of the Voting Period.

HOT Voting Members should have received their Ballot via the email address
that I have on record for official membership business communication. Voting
Members who did not receive a Ballot yet - please contact me as soon as
possible so we can determine the issue and make sure you have your fair
chance to participate.

The Voting Period will end (i.e. Ballot is collected) at Midnight UTC on 28
March 2015 (in other places the wording is 'you must submit your Ballot on
or before 23:59 UTC 27 March 2015').

I will also take a moment to address some questions that have been directly
asked of me regarding where and how to campaign, as well as where to ask
questions of the candidates.

.        There are no requirements, at least in the legal sense, of
where/how/what language/timing and all the other sub-questions regarding how
to campaign or ask questions.

.        We (the Election Committee, Chair and Board) have not set any
requirements, the suggestions are fairly simple:

o   Use the Code of Conduct
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/2/2f/HOT_Membership_Code--proposal_f
or_annual_meeting_2014.pdf>  as your guide, although there are moderators
for our mailing lists, they are really only to restrict messages based on if
they are 'on topic' - i.e. not obvious spam, solicitation or include
discriminatory, harassing or blatantly offensive language.  I do not condone
any restriction on messages unless they are obviously inappropriate. Of
course if there is questionable material in a message, please contact me.

o   Each Candidate is free to respond, or not, to any questions posed. There
is absolutely no requirement for them to campaign; and candidates may choose
to use their OSM diary, social media, or other 'non-HOT' platforms (although
then they risk voting members not being aware of the posts).

o   Direct messages to the main HOT mailing list is acceptable, however,
please consider the public nature of this platform and the audience that may
choose to read your messages.

o   As defined in our Code of Conduct: HOT Voting Members "Will not
interpret lack of specific text in this code of conduct as acceptance of
poor behavior; if ever in doubt, consult with [other] voting members,
directors, and/or executives before speaking and/or acting on behalf of
HOT." - What this means to me in the context of the election is: if you
think your post may be controversial or you feel the need to name names and
point fingers - that belongs on the membership only mailing list.

With all that said, I will go a little 'over-the-top' for a moment and say
to everyone reading this message: It is my personal opinion, having worked
with several other amazing non-profit organizations, that there is no
greater collection of hearts and minds in a governing body then the HOT
Voting Membership, it truly has been an honor to serve as their chairperson.

May the election favor HOT!

Sincerely,

=Russ

Russell Deffner