[HOT] West African HOT Mapping Tips

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 11:35:22 UTC 2015

Could the link
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Bgirardot/West_African_HOT_Mapping_Tips
be added to the instructions of all HOT West African projects?

I wasn't aware of it before the post on Surface mines characteristics and
it clarified a couple of things for me.  It's certainly useful when
validating to have a reference to point enthusiastic mappers to.

If possible could an image showing two or three small settlements of say
three or four huts joined together with what I would normally think of as
footpaths to show how these should be mapped and the connecting highways
tagged.  I've noticed some variation between the mappers when validating.

Could we also have a guideline on huts?  I've seen them mapped as a single
point and as a circle.  In JOSM its very quick to copy and paste a hut but
that does mean slight variations in size are not mapped correctly.

The other issue would be isolated buildings, I tend to map the building
rather than tag it landuse=residential again a guideline would be useful.

Rather than overwhelm the mapper with the idea that everything guidelined
needs to be mapped I suggest somewhere it says perhaps in the instructions
"For this project please map the roads and settlements according to the
guidelines here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Bgirardot/West_African_HOT_Mapping_Tips
"

Thanks John