[HOT] validating tiles

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Wed Mar 25 09:55:41 UTC 2015

We have already made similar propositions a few times on the Github isssues service for the Tasking manager.  See the recent discussion.https://github.com/hotosm/osm-tasking-manager2/issues/545

Pierre

      De : Denis Carriere <carriere.denis at gmail.com>
 À : Daniel Specht <danspecht at gmail.com>
Cc : hot at openstreetmap.org
 Envoyé le : Mercredi 25 mars 2015 0h55
 Objet : Re: [HOT] validating tiles

Very good points you brought up Dan.I feel very strongly about the #2 point about adding a statistic for validators, it does take effort to browse the tiles properly. I sometimes end up adding a few missing buildings or landuse areas if they are only a few minor missing features.Hopefully those points can be looked into & developed in the near future for the Tasking Manager.On Mar 24, 2015 9:53 PM, "Daniel Specht" <danspecht at gmail.com> wrote:

Lots of projects are mapped quickly, but validated  slowly. This could be because (A) beginners don't feel qualified to pass judgement(B) people don't like to pass judgement(C)  doing original work is more fun than reviewing someone else's work.
I have a couple suggestions for encouraging validation.
1.  Include instructions for validation on the instructions tab.     Because the instructions tab only has mapping instructions, readers may think that validation is for someone else to do.
2.  Include validation statistics on the stats tab.   Because the stats tab only has statistics for tiles completed, mappers may think that validating tiles is not essential. Also, these statistics give the mapper, but not the validator, a psychological reward. I've been validating a lot of tiles -- sometimes I seem to be doing most of the validations on a project -- and even though seeing the number by your name increment isn't the biggest thrill in the world, I have to admit that I miss it..--
Dan