[HOT] Mapping Logging Roads in the Congo Basin

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 14:17:19 UTC 2015

Hi, Jorieke:

I started the import discussion sending emails to the DRC, CAR and
Cameroon lists, but unfortunately I didn't received any answer.

I did received an interesting email from yours about this last 10th Feb,
telling about the CAR WRI import [1] and about the Cameroon community
and state of the map for that country.

For the CAR WRI: I used that import data to help extensively in mapping
roads all over the country while importing UNICEF data, although I
didn't actually work in any task. I was very focused on the UNICEF data
and would have to contact Séverin prior to work with that WRI import, so
I left it until the 3 TM UNICEF projects were finished.

In any case, this WRI data import is focused only in forest tracks, not
roads in general. Therefore, it covers only the South West of Centrafrique.

In any case, I will be happy to volunteer on that old WRI import if
needed, but bear in mind that there is a new and very interesting job
for road mapping/checking for CAR opened recently by Séverin [2], based
on public domain data from Groads (there is another one for Mali too [3]).

As for the Congo's communities: I would love to contact them, and
collaborate/contribute in any way I can. I didn't know about the Rep. of
Congo community, but I did receive an email from Claire on 26th Feb from
Iraq, telling she would be back to DRC in a month or so and suggesting
to talk about this when she is back.

For Cameroon the data is quite big (around 8,500 ways), so I was
thinking on splitting the import in 3, in order not to overload the data
server. If you are willing, you may check the data [4] and we can decide
how to better set the jobs.

Please, tell me in what ways I can be of any help.

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1] http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/219
[2] http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/783