[HOT] Issue with the HOT Export shapefiles and ArcGIS

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 19:16:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am I the only one experiencing a projection issue in ArcGIS with the
shapefiles made by the HOT Exports? The (deprecated) EPSG:3785 is not
recognized by ArcGIS (but is by QGIS), therefore the shapefiles are not
projected. I do not use ArcGIS but I expect a huge majority of GIS officers
in humanitarian organization rely on it, so this issue is really a "killer
costumer". The tip I found is to display the shapefile first in QGIS then
save it in any other CRS (Coordinate Reference System), but it is obviously
satisfying for the (many) people with ArcGIS only. I think EPSG:3785 should
be changed by EPSG:3857 anyway if we continue to rely on this projection
for GIS files. GReat it is tagged as a "must" (fix). Who would be
interested to dig in? I can provide the information text for any techy not
completely familiar with CRS, if needed.

Sincerely,

Severin