[HOT] Question just to be sure.. Residential landuse areas should have at least 20 buildings?

Tom McDonald tmcd123 at gmail.com
Sat May 2 20:38:22 UTC 2015

I encountered a tile with many small (2 or 3 houses) areas in the hills of
Nepal marked as landuse=Residential. It is my understanding that this tag
should be used only for true "Settlements" of 20 or more houses?

I read somewhere that counting the number of "Residential" areas can be
used as a rough guide to population. This only works if they are all about
same size.

The validation instructions for my task: #1018 - Nepal Earthquake, 2015,
detailed mapping 2nd pass, states "residential/settlement areas - validate
if all settlements (a cluster of 20 or so houses) are enclosed with
landuse=residential polygon/enclosed way."

Is it correct for me to remove the landuse tag for these tiny groups of
houses?

Tom