[HOT] How to locate places without addresses? Open location code

Mark Iliffe mark at markiliffe.co.uk
Sat May 2 22:11:51 UTC 2015

Hi John, All,

what3words is free at point of use and is human readable - the word component also is quite good at error checking.

Postcodes and generic codes work if the people you want to use them have a cognition of addressing systems like postcodes or mailstops. My experience in rural Tanzania is that they don't have that experience. We've been integrating what3words so people will be able phone or text location. ID numbers on water points just washed away/eroded. what3words works even under partial degradation, then it can be error corrected unlike a postcode where every digit is relevant.

Best,

Mark

Sent from my iPhone

>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2014_DRC_Ebola_Response