[HOT] HOT Digest, Vol 63, Issue 9

Will Skora skorasaurus at gmail.com
Sun May 3 17:44:47 UTC 2015

Hi Stephan,

Since OSM doesn't have very rigid rules of what tags to use, some
geographic areas and communities of interest (like HOT) may use a tag
slightly different than in other areas or not use a tag at all.

HOT (HDM) Tagging Preset -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/HDM_preset which
was developed for HOT contexts but unique situations of what to tag arise,
often very quickly after a disaster or event that HOT responds to (known as
an activation), and a new tag is made.

Thus, particular objects, like an IDP camp, haven't been added to the
preset or to the map renderings that you've mentioned. That discussion will
need to happen here and in the working groups.

Secondly, a geographic area usually has its own page on the OSM wiki how to
tag commonly found features and any tagging nuances.
Nepal's is at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nepal_remote_mapping_guide#Tagging

Lastly, and most importantly, is the Task Manager Instructions.

So if you read of any conflicting information between what's in the HOT
preset and what's mentioned in the Task Manager, err on the side of the
task manager.

You aren't required to use the preset for HOT mapping, but if you're
interested, it's only available for JOSM. Installation instructions are at
http://learnosm.org/en/editing/josm-presets/  and select the HDM/HOT
preset.

I hope it makes mapping easier for you.

Secondly, as a relatively experienced HOT contributor and mapper, I thank
the new OpenStreetMap users. This response is not like anything before and
as you have seen, been truly helpful and made a difference.
Hope to you see your participation in the future as well.

Regards,
Will (skorasaurus)

=============================
Hi

Sorry to interrupt your fantastic work capturing Nepal with two
questions. They are of long term nature and interest:
1. What tags are recommended to use in HOT actions (is there a
wiki.osm.org page)?
2. Which interactive maps (i.e. map tile servers) are you using
(besides Garmin .img)?

Regarding 1. I assumed tags are described in
http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags and JOSM Presets
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/HDM_preset).
Now, I'm confused because I looked at taginfo instance Nepal
http://nepal-taginfo.openstreetmap.hu/keys and saw e.g. idp:camp_site
which is not existing in JOSM Presets. JOSM HOT presets only contain
tourism=camp_site.

Regarding 2. When looking at OSM Humanitarian style or Stamen's I'd
expected to see specific HOT tags like camp_sites or destructed
buildings:
* OSM Humanitarian:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/342295158#map=18/27.89391/85.14700&layers=H
* Stamen: http://tiles.openterrain.org/?humaniterrain#18/27.89391/85.14579