[HOT] Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Suzan Reed suzan at suzanreed.com
Thu May 7 07:30:09 UTC 2015

Training
My major problem with the current training, it's long, boring, and slow. A Quick Start Guide would be perfect for someone like me. A video with this information would be great. I could not go through the training because it went too slow, so I missed some information, but found the process for someone like me who works in Photoshop pretty easy and intuitive, but I'm not a usual newbie.

An orientation video for the area being mapped.
I don't think many mappers know what buildings in remote areas of Nepal look like, or that villages are spread out over a big area, or that paths just end and do not connect in rural Nepal. A video with still and moving images I believe would be a big help. People could then see buildings are not square, built out of piles of rocks, and are often two stories tall with animals below and people above. Roofs are tin, or packed earth. If mappers could see this I think they would do a better job mapping. The video could also go over other details of the project. I'd be willing to help with this.

Mentors
I have connected with someone who is my mentor and checks my work. Think it would be great if every newbie could have a mentor, or a group of mentors to submit work to.

Correcting other's work
We all want to do a good job, but I don't think the training gives the most important information up front, i.e. make buildings the right size and square.

I've just deleted and redrawn about 100 buildings that were not square nor did they fit on the image footprint. The mappers probably thought a rough polygon would let people know a building existed in that spot, but that's not what's needed. Same with paths that didn't conform to the image. How to do it right would be so helpful if included in the training up front. I don't think most people have the patience to go through slow training, or my DVD wouldn't have come with a Quick Start Guide!

I'm a Newbie, and I recommend newbies be limited to drawing buildings and adding roads and paths. Experts should draw Residential Areas in rural areas and note forests and other features. I've corrected hundreds of buildings and paths. It's a waste of time and energy for the original mapper and the person correcting. We all want to do a good job or we wouldn't be spending hours mapping.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Suzan