[HOT] JOSM people validating / mapping in Nepal, please run JOSM's validator before finishing a tile

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Thu May 7 11:27:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 12:57:06AM -0700, Springfield Harrison wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
>         This is amazing to see the vast number of invalid tags.  This really
> calls into question the integrity of the database.  Do you have much luck
> getting people to run the validator?

In OSM there is no such thing as an invalid tag. Everybody is allowed to
invent new tags although your expectation should not be that there is a
single data consumer who will make use of it.

The common set of tags has been selected by a "do-ocracy" - You see
data consumers making use of a certain tag and you start tagging to
influence these data consumers.

>         I am baffled that the data validation does not take place right at the
> data entry stage.  This is very common in database applications.  All the
> critical fields have validation rules so that the operator can neither skip the
> critical fields nor enter data that is not applicable to that field.  If JOSM,
> complex as it is, is lacking input data validation, that is a serious failing,
> in my opinion.  For this type of mission, complete and accurate data is
> critical.  You do not have the luxury of time hoping that people will bother
> with a post entry validation process.

Both ways are perfectly valid - validating on input or on data
consumption.

OSM has gone the way of validating or using data on the consumer side
which i am very happy about. I have invented a tag myself for hinting a
routing instance for infrastructure e.g. Telecoms cables. If there would
have been an input validation i could not have done so.

Flo
     We need to self-defense - GnuPG/PGP enable your email today!