[HOT] Worried about task 1018

laura brittain l.n.brittain at gmail.com
Sat May 9 18:29:52 UTC 2015

Ideas regarding using newbs,
Please embed instructions (and a link to Google translate or another) in Task manager.
Please put important instructions in Bold Capital Letters in Task manager.

Info on unlocking a tile isn't visible when you are locked in a tile and it's hard to realize you have to go back and do that in TM.

Please don't let new JOSM users validate tiles unless they've been vetted.
In my case it would be a disaster.

HOT has been linked to all over in media. Of course you're inundated with newbs. The message out there and in tutorials is that anyone can help with even 20 minutes and that learning how takes an hour or two. Um, no.

To avoid discouraging us, could discussions of our many mistakes be done off the HOT list that is one of the sources we go to to learn?

Consider a message like this that pops up on unlocking a tile:
"Thank you for mapping —please come back and see what you can do to help in the weeks, months, and years ahead."

Finally, I'm sure a lot of us would love to have someone comment on our work and point out errors.
Just remember the feedback sandwich: one positive feedback on either end of the criticism.

And if absolute newbs  aren't helpful or needed please let us know so we can go home.
Hope this helps! Thank you.